Thursday, April 10, 2008

Laid up here in a country state of mind (with pics from home)



Ronnie Jones preached a sermon based on a Hank Williams song not long ago, so I figured it was OK for me to write an ode to a Hank Jr. song. So here it goes:


"That hot ol' summer sun make you beg for your next breath,
So you best be on the creek bank laid in the shade.
Chewin' on a hickory twig, pass that bottle, I'll have me a swig,
I ain't got a lot, but I think I got it made (in the shade)."


Many people talk about not having regrets in life and I have very few, really. Everything I’ve done, every mistake I have made, has led me here, which is where I want to be. I am married to my soul mate. I am pursuing a career that I believe God would have me do. But some days I miss my country home in Alabama. I miss that quiet peace that comes with sweet tea and front porches. I miss those pine covered hills and the fog that rolls through the hollows in the morning. I miss that old wooden barn that was built long before I was born and the smell of freshly cut hay. I miss flinging a fishing rod over my shoulder and walking into the backwoods for a shot at some bream. I miss the country store where everybody knows you when you walk in. I miss those Alabama and, yes, Auburn car tags. I miss being a part of what that rivalry means in that state. I miss the buzz of bicycle tires whirling under me as I peddledown back roads of aged blacktop. I miss the smell of axle grease coming from underneath that old red Farmall. Mostly, though, I regret that I didn’t learn more than I did from my father. He is a man’s man. He can fix anything, grow anything, build anything. You know the type. I regret not getting up early and going fishing with him as much as I should have. I regret not being under his wing every day in those vast fields. I regret having smooth palms when his were so calloused. I regret never going dove hunting with him or paying attention to him when he taught lessons about life that I had to learn the hard way. I will never regret being my momma’s baby, but I will always regret never being my dad’s little man. I can’t make up for lost time with him now, but I am trying more than ever to savor those moments we have left. I look forward to Friday when I can see that place again.


"Me, I'm laid up here in a country state of mind,
Catchin' these fish like they're goin' out of style,
And drinkin' this homemade wine.
Hey, if the sun don't shine tomorrow,
People I've had a good time,
I’m just laid up here in at country state of mind."

--Erik













7 comments:

Tammy Howard said...

Wow....you make Alabama sound beautiful! You are a great writer Eric....I saw every picture in my mind as you spoke...that's awesome.

It is great to look back and remember and it's good to get to go home again isn't it?

I have few regrets myself!!!

Tammy

Brad and Shana said...

It's never too late. I'm sure he is very proud of exactly who you are. And, I'm sure he'll find this post very touching.

-Shana

Maddie said...

I am a country girl born and bread, so this post hit home with me! You are an amazing writer. Ever thought about writing a book??

Cyndi Lou said...

Erik,

Wow!! What an awesome post!! You described Alabama so well. I know that Joe misses it at times for many of the same reasons. He loved growing up in the woods of Alabama and playing to his heart's content with his buddies from sun up to sun down.

Your post was an awesome testimony to the precious relationship with your father. I am sure he is proud of you!

Love you both,

Cyndi

Tamara Chastain said...

Beautiful pictures. Great reflection of the past and future. And by the way I love Hank Williams Jr. my favorit CD of his is Hog Wild. Thanks for sharing such tender memories.

Cyndi Lou said...

Erik my friend, you sure struck a cord in me with this post. From one "Alabama" boy to another - I share your fondness for the state that I will always call home. I love my wife and children with all my heart, and truly feel that we are in the community that God intends for us to be in. But I think back on my younger days quite often, and recall the many, many memories that were formed in the woods of Harpersville, on the banks of Logan Martin Lake, in the fields of the local sod farm, and all the places in between as I was growing up. I made my share of mistakes, shed my share of tears, and felt my share of pain along the way. But more importantly, I learned the value of true friendship, I learned what it means to work hard, I learned character, I learned that my word is my bond and that should be good enough, I learned the importance of respect and dignity and how to earn both, I learned how good laughter is for the soul, I learned every word to most Hank Jr. song .... basically, I learned how to live and how to love. Lynyrd Skynyrd got it right when they sang of "Sweet Home Alabama".

With regards to your father, I really think that we all look back and realize that we took that time for granted, and thus we have regrets. I believe I do more than most. I lost my father a little over four years ago, and his passing was quite unexpected. For all the time that we spent together and for all of the things that we shared, it just wasn't enough. I didn't get to say everything that I wanted to say and we didn't get to do everything that I wanted us to do. What I wouldn't give for just one more day, even one more hour. From my heart I share this with you to say, don't neglect the time that you have left. Make the time to share with him and say the things that are on your heart to say. Leave nothing left unsaid, and nothing important left undone. Make sure that he knows your love for him and your gratitude for all he has done for you. Trust me when I tell you that the regrets you may feel now can't compare to what they could be.

Thanks for sharing your heart!

And always remember, a "Country Boy Can Survive".

-- Joe

Cyndi Lou said...

p.s. .... WAR EAGLE!!

Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day


Favorite authors


NPR Topics: Books

NPR Topics: Arts & Entertainment

ESPN Feed: Wright Thompson