Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Green's Game Notes: Volume IV

So if you were driving from Dalton towards Murray County around 6:25 this morning you probably saw my lovely wife doing a dance in the Regions Bank parking lot. Yes, and maybe you heard her shouting too. She was not filled with the Holy Ghost, but rather giant mosquitoes. So here's how it went down: we pulled into Regions to get some money and there were maybe five of those huge mosquitoes sitting on the machine. When Angie went to put the card in, BuzZZZ WHACK BAM CRASH, those things flew onto her like planes to a hanger. She started saying "They're on me. They're on me." Then she began to panic and whack the air like mad. Then she yelled "They're on me! They're on me! I've got to get out!" So yes, she got out and performed her own rendition of Flash Dance. "She's a maniac, maaaniac on the floor..." As for me? I just enjoyed the show... No mosquitoes were hurt...

I don't know if I have mentioned it before in the Blog, but I believe God has put a burden on my heart to become a guidance counselor. I believe I can relate to kids in that fashion. I have done the stupid, trouble making stuff. I have experienced unrequited love (Who hasn't haha). I have gone through the "My parents are morons" phase. I have had drug addicted friends. I mean, I feel like I understand teens. So I suppose I am going to get my masters and Eds. in counseling. That's a couple years away, so things might change...

Mercifully Angie's CRCT testing is complete and she can return to normal, Amen!...

Spring Break begins Friday! AND I only have a couple more class meetings left in the semester. Two classes, two A's right now! Go me...

So last night in my education class we discussed discipline in the classroom and basically my professor made it seem as though only bad teachers have to discipline kids. When asked what should be done for discipline in the classroom, he said "Teach better." Of course, he is about 80 years old. What sort of discipline do you feel is correct? Paddling? Removal from class? Writing sentences, etc. I'd like to hear your thoughts...

8 comments:

Brad and Shana said...

I wonder if Angie's "flash mosquito" dance was caught on the bank surveillance cameras.....too funny!

Although, what's up with the mosquitos lately....my front and back porches are completely covered.

As far as discipline in school.....I got paddled at school once, it worked for me..... I'm just sayin'

Shana

Maddie said...

Yeah, I would say if he is 80 and hasn't been in the classroom in 20 or so years, he is no longer an authority! Teachers don't have any recourse anymore. There's nothing wrong with a paddling here and there. I would pay money to have seen that dance! And, am I crazy or do we have the biggest mosquitos than anywhere else in the world???

jonesfamily said...

No....the biggest mosquito award goes to Stuttgart, AR.....words cannot express the infestations that abound out there due to the water in the rice fields....they are so many that to get into Wal-mart they have big huge blowers that you have to go through to help keep them out of the store. Our garage was open and we would pull in and unbuckle Abs from the back by turning around...count to 3...and RUN!!!
I would have LOVED to see the dance...although I have probably seen other renditions before...LOL

Erik and Angela Green said...

Might I add also that the mosquitoes in Wyoming hurt like crap when they suck your blood!

Sandy said...

I think the kids know that the teachers can't do anything to them so that takes the control away from the teachers and the administrators.

When I was in school, we knew if we got a paddling at school, we would get another one that night from my dad... so something needs to put the "fear of God" back into some of the kids so the teachers can actually teach!

I bet you could have won AFV's grand prize for Angie's "mosquito" dance... if you only had it on video! That story was too funny!

Sandy

jonesfamily said...

Being a teacher, I must say that I completely disagree with the 80 year old. The way to deal with discipline is not to just teach better. I wish he could come and visit one of my classes that is just aweful. Teach better would be great if I could just teach this class to begin with. I think that so often we are ready to blame the teacher, when it is in fact the kids that need a reality check on life. Students these days seem to think that everthing revolves around them. I beg to differ. Wade

I say bring back the paddle.

Tammy Howard said...

I got a paddling once or twice... it sure made me think twice about what I did. Kids don't even worry about getting in trouble these days. It's sad!

I would have loved to have seen that dance. I bet they do have in on the banks video...wonder if you could get that for us all to see? haha

Tammy

Anonymous said...

In my experience teaching, I've learned that students have not changed, they still do the same stupid things we did as students. The only thing that has changed is parenting! It begins and ends at home. I have a student who yelled at me the other day over something extremely silly and I understood why he yelled at me when his mother came in and yelled at my assistant principal because "her child doesn't act like that". Get real. No child is perfect all you parents. I have two children, they get spankings, they are not perfect. As for the 80 year old man, he taught in an age when teachers, and more importantly parents, were respected. His theories and opinions on teaching are "old school", they will not work now. So I dare say listen to him enough to get your "A" and then come back to reality and teach accordingly. The key to classroom management is being everything to every student. Sometimes you have to be a Father to them, sometimes a friend, sometimes a disciplanarian. This is why teachers should get paid more. This a really long comment. Hope you enjoyed my soapbox.

Adam

Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day


Favorite authors


NPR Topics: Books

NPR Topics: Arts & Entertainment

ESPN Feed: Wright Thompson