Monday, August 18, 2008

The Great Coke Can Debacle.



So after much pressure to continue, I now humbly submit a blog. Yaay!

As many of you know, Angie and I moved into a new house at the end of May. We have really enjoyed it, and it has been everything we wanted. Well, except the upstairs toilet. Mind you, this is a brand new house. We have, um...left our mark where no man has marked before. Now, one particular Sunday afternoon I was typing away on our computer upstairs and decided to make a routine bathroom visit. When I flushed, however, the result was anything but routine. The toilet stopped up, and began to overflow. The water--and it is a stretch to call it water--began to go under the wall and run down our kitchen wall downstairs. I knew this was happening because Angie was screaming something in French. So, I went and bought a plunger, and nearly had a heart attack as I attacked the John. In fact, I plunged so hard that the--uh toilet history, if you will--began to flow into our shower. This, my friends, was as close to hell as I ever want to get. So, clearly, I was not going to fix the toilet myself. Luckily, a plumber was open and someone came out and fixed it so that it would at least flush. I then cleaned up the considerably grotesque mess and we called the guy who built our house and told him about it. He decided he wanted to send out his own plumber to check it out. So, a week or so later, three guys show up and go to work. After an hour or so, one of the men came in the house and said,
"I know what your problem is."
I'm thinking, "Yeah really? I believe my problem is that I had to clean up crap!"
But he said, "There is a coke can in your pipe."
Apparently, during construction, some genius threw his Dr. Pepper can into the pipes. The plumber brought the discarded can in on a stick and showed it to me. Needless to say, our builder agreed to reimburse us for our considerable plumber bill. Unfortunately, neither money nor Ajax could scrub the memory of that blasted day out of my mind. Bluuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

--
In other news, Angie and I are both very busy this semester, as usual. She is working on her masters, getting a gifted endorsement, and taking a mentoring class. I have two classes, the first of which begins tomorrow and involves the reading of 11 books. I am making strides, I guess. Also, I have been invited to be a Palanca Cha at Tres Dias in November, so I am stoked about that! Hope everyone has a nice week!
Erik

7 comments:

Sandy said...

Don't you just love stupidity?!?! I can't believe someone did something that stupid.... I think I may have to switch from Dr. Pepper now to something else. I think I will detect a different flavor since hearing your story.

Congrats on the "FUN CHA" in November!!! You can put in a good word for us old timers when you get on the team and they are searching for guys to help...hmmmmmm - I just happen to have that weekend open - hint.hint.hint! LOL.

Bust out those 11 book bro and take care.

Sandy

Cyndi Lou said...

Oh, Erik & Angie,

First of all, thank you for posting again!! We have missed you!! Congrats on the new house!

Second of all, I am STILL laughing out loud by myself to NO ONE in my living room!! LOL!!! I can't stop laughing, not because I am being mean, but because something like that happened to us and off the wall things like that continue to happen in our lives!!

Oh, thanks for sharing and I am so glad that your builder obliged!!

Keep the Green posts coming!! :)

Love you,

Cyndi

jonesfamily said...

See I told you it would make an interesting post!!! Glad to see you are not at the bottom of the page anymore!!!

Tammy Howard said...

I just love Dr. Pepper...but what a mess he caused you....bad pepper bad pepper!!!!

Glad you get to be the "Fun Cha" at TD. That will be awesome and you will do a great job!

Glad you are back writing.

Tammy

Brad and Shana said...

Three words: Bless your heart!

Cyndi Lou said...

OK! I am STILL laughing and I read this post to 6 co-workers today and I will read it to more tomorrow!! THANKS for sharing!!

Love you guys,

Cyndi

Anonymous said...

ummmmmmmm...there are no words...

except this...


Nicole and I had a similar experience when we were in our rental house. Our toilet treasures backed up into our bathtub...I feel your pain.

Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day


Favorite authors


NPR Topics: Books

NPR Topics: Arts & Entertainment

ESPN Feed: Wright Thompson