Tuesday, March 18, 2008

God's smile

Every morning I spend an hour alone on a sidewalk under a ceiling of dark clouds which pass by slowly as if they were watching me. That’s part of my job at Murray County High School. I’m a crossing guard. That hour gives me time to reflect. Regretfully, most of the time I don’t think about much of anything.
But today I thought about death. I often obsess about becoming sick and dying, especially dying young. I’ve always feared death. I’ve feared what those moments will be like as we pass from life to death. Will I be afraid? Will I be in control? I tell my wife time and time again that when I obsess over something and it turns out to be nothing that I hear God’s voice saying, “When are you going to learn to trust me.” Maybe today.
This morning as I was thinking about death, I believe God spoke to me. He said, “Why are you so afraid of death? If you’re that afraid then I would think you don’t really believe in Heaven.”
He had a point. After all, what is death if not a prerequisite for Heaven?
I don’t think I have ever been really sure of the existence of Heaven like I am sure that my wedding band is gold. It was always a nice possibility. I am a Christian, but I am truly like Thomas. I need to see the wounds. The idea of Heaven, like the majority of the Gospel message, has seemed at times a little far fetched over the years. So this morning I looked up at the dark clouds and told God, “If there is a Heaven, show me a smile.” I was looking for God to contort the clouds into a smiley face, I reckon.
But it didn’t happen and I looked at the ground and thought, “Stupid.”
About ten seconds later I looked up as a delivery truck rolled by me. On the side was a picture of a little girl, who looked to be maybe 5-years-old, holding a slice of watermelon. She had a big snaggletooth smile on her face.
What can you say? Thomas got his stupid sign.
God tells us in Matt. 19:26 “Jesus looked at them and said, ‘With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”’
All things, from a smiley face on the side of a truck to our heavenly home.
“Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.
John 14:1-3
Philippians 3:20-21
But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself.
Philippians 3:20-21
Amen

--Erik

5 comments:

Brad and Shana said...

Very well said indeed~

-Shana

jonesfamily said...

I just wanted to tell you that I have shared this post with several people. It really spoke to me! (Even though you are my family...LOL)

Jenn

Cyndi Lou said...

Erik,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and for opening yourself up to us so that we could hear a word from God also! That is an awesome post and it IS an awesome feeling when God speaks to us through a SIGN that we so desperately need to see.

He knows that we have finite minds that need reassuring! He is an awesome God indeed for giving us the gift of His reassurance and His signs!!

Cyndi

Maddie said...

Wow, I needed to hear that today. What an awesome word from God!

Tammy Howard said...

I love your site. It's my first visit but I'll be back.

God is really real and he shows us
stuff in some really cool ways doesn't he?

Tammy

Merriam-Webster's Word of the Day


Favorite authors


NPR Topics: Books

NPR Topics: Arts & Entertainment

ESPN Feed: Wright Thompson